We’re more than a week into 2018 and I suppose it’s time for me to share some stereotypical resolutions. Here’s the deal, resolutions have never worked for me! Typically I get two weeks in and “forget” or “take a break” or “have a cheat day” which usually leads to a “cheat eternity”. So in 2018, I’m going to apply a concept that is new to me, making S.M.A.R.T. goals.
What S.M.A.R.T Goals Are
S.M.A.R.T. is an acronym that I had never heard of until last month, and one that just ‘clicked’ with me when I heard it. Here is what it stands for:
- S- Specific goal. Not “get healthier” but “lose weight”.
- M- Measurable goal. Not “lose weight” but “lose 30 pounds”.
- A- Attainable goal. Not “lose 100 lbs as a 150 lb person” but “lose 30 lbs as a 150 lb person”.
- R- Relative goal. If I’m just wanting to be a better house keeper in 2018, a weight loss goal is not relevant to helping me achieve the Ideal Me.
- T- Timely goal. Not “lose 30 pounds” but instead “lose 30 pounds in 1 year, by working out thrice weekly and logging/counting calories daily using the Lose-It app”.
With that said, here are my 2018 S.M.A.R.T. goals. Be sure to follow along, to not only keep me accountable but to see if this is an effective method for me!
My 2018 S.M.A.R.T. Goals
- I am absolutely terrible at responding back to digital communication, and that’s an awful downfall to have for my profession! One of my 2018 S.M.A.R.T. goals is to respond to ALL comments, emails, texts, Facebook messages, and tweets, within two days of receiving them. Not every outreach is one that requires a reply (like some comments that simply read “nice”), so in those instances, I will simply “like” or “react” to that response if that is an option.
- I have a handful of books on my shelf that have not been read yet, and many more that I would like to read. All books on my want-to-read list are about self improvement, personal finance, real estate, politics, financial independence (early retirement), or minimalism- which are key parts in my life right now. I need to read these! My second S.M.A.R.T. goal is to read a minimum of 2 books per month during 2018. That’s one book biweekly, or 24 books over the course of a year. If you’re curious why I believe that books are NEVER a waste of money, check out this post by my blogging idol Jillian.
- My third S.M.A.R.T. goal pertains to my BIG DREAM, which if you get my newsletter (HINT HINT), you’ll know what that is. I want to put $1,500 in savings per month, for a minimum of 8 months in 2018. Of course I would prefer 12 months, but I will be doing lots of work on myself, my home, and other projects, as well as some road tripping this year.
- S.M.A.R.T. goal number four is to workout three times a week, every week (unless I am injured or sick) AND to do at least two outside workouts every month for a year. I am pretty happy with my weight, but I’d like to lose just a tiny bit more fat around my face, gain more muscle in my arms, legs, and core, and really gain more stamina/strength all over, while also enjoying some fresh air (because my online work has really cut into that).
- This blog has been a great motivator, outlet, and learning tool for me, as well as a good resource for my niche readers. Because of that, I really would like to contribute to Diamonds N’ Denim more. S.M.A.R.T. goal number five reflects that, because I will upload 6 new posts every month, for the entire year of 2018. Ideally, I try to publish two posts a week (a Money or Minimalism Monday, and a Whatever Wednesday) for a total of 8 posts a month, but I know that’s not always possible, especially if I get too involved with my work, projects, or travel.
- Corresponding with goals three and four, my S.M.A.R.T. goal number six is to have 3 completely vegetarian days a week. I want to be healthier, and I want to save more money for my big project. A great way to do that is to eat more fruits and vegetables, and less meat and processed foods. I experimented with this a bit near the end of 2017 and it really had me feeling great and saving quite a chunk of change.
- S.M.A.R.T. goal seven is a bit strange, but one that will help me feel more ‘put together’. I will be making my bed a minimum of 6 days a week, and washing my bedding a minimum of twice a month. As a child, I did neither of those things unless I just absolutely had to. To represent my life as an adult and as a wife who cares about her herself, her husband, and her home, this goal is ideal for me.
- Last but certainly not least, is S.M.A.R.T. goal number eight, to double 2017’s total traffic. The goal of Diamonds N’ Denim is to reach as many interested people as possible, which makes this goal very relevant and crucial. I do not have as much control over this goal, but I do have control over how often I post, content quality, and how often I share my work on social media. In 2017, I multiplied 2016’s numbers 8 times over, with very little promotion or effort. In the second half of 2017, I doubled the first half of 2017, so I don’t believe that doubling all of of last year’s views is unattainable.
- Have you heard of S.M.A.R.T. Goals?
- What are your 2018 goals or resolutions?
- Do you think this an effective way to get things done?
Like this post?
If this is something that inspires, helps, or just plain entertains you, please don’t hesitate to share it! The goal of Diamonds N’ Denim is to reach as many people as possible, so be sure to talk about it to your friends, family, coworkers, or neighbors, share it on Facebook, tweet it on Twitter, or pin it on Pinterest- I even made a pretty pin for you below! Just click the image once, in the upper left corner there will be a red P, click that, and get to pinning! 🙂
As always, thank you for stopping by!